Saturday 23 March 2013

The Chatuchak (weekend) market in Thailand

In 2011 I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel the world for 6 months with my boyfriend. We had an absolutely amazing time, seeing some beautiful countries such Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and America.
 

Whilst in Thailand we visited the Chatuchak market in Bangkok, (most commonly know as the weekend market.) Now I am not exaggerating when I say this is the worlds largest market, because it is the worlds largest weekend market. It is MASSIVE!! It took us 2 days just to get around the clothing section. You can buy absolutely ANYTHING in this market, including live animals such as snakes, furniture, food, spices, plants, rugs, jewellery, shoes, bags, fake designer bags, and so on. It covers over 35 acres, contains approx 5,000 stalls and is estimated to receive 200,000 visitors each day.


 Now If you love to shop and if you are ever going to Bangkok then you must make sure you are there over a weekend so you can visit this amazing market. It is split into sections (as you can see on the map above) so you can easily find the items you desire. Me, I was only interested in one section......the clothes section. And the best part about this section is the VINTAGE section!! I know what your thinking Vintage?! in Bangkok?! Really?! But yes!! Asia have a huge amount of vintage products and its just as popular over there as it is here. A lot of it is imported from neighboring countries so there is a lot of it. I have yet to find a market or supplier in the UK that sells just half the amount of vintage I could get at the weekend market. So its probably safe to say I was completely in my element. 




Now the other great thing about this market is that the products are so ridiculously cheap!!! The image above of the vintage denim shirts stating that they are 100baht, well that's approx £2. I picked up vintage dresses for £1 each, maxi skirts for £3, lace shirts for £3, 100% leather pixie boots for £7, and gorgeous soft leather bags decorated with turquoise stones for £10. Now the problem with it being so cheap is that I went a bit crazy, but to be fair even David went crazy buying fake diesel jeans, van trainers, shirts & leather belts and he HATES shopping!!  We ended up having to get rid of some of the clothes we had bought with us from home as well as posting some of it back to the UK. It was so worth it though.


 It really is a great day out, there is a very strong chance you will spend more than you planned and an even bigger chance you will get lost!!

My advice.............
First off wear a money belt!! They are flat which you wear around your waist under your clothes so people cant pick pocket your wallet or take your bag. The market is known for its pick pockets. 

Second....Make sure you drink lots of water. Its extremely hot and extremely crowded and its easy to forget to keep hydrated. 

And last of all.....if you see something you like, buy it!! Don't think, ill come back later and get it, because you wont find it!! trust me!! I thought I knew exactly where a certain stall was but could never find it again. The stalls are so similar and are rammed in so tightly your have no chance. 

Oh and last of all, if you see any of these sweets in the picture below, buy them!! I have no idea what they are but they are AMAZING. we practically lived on these through out Thailand.


And here is one of the dresses I purchased at the weekend market.....



I love this dress, the print is stunning and the tee shape is perfect. I think i paid £3 for this little vintage beauty....bargain!! I paired it with my black faux fur gilet from Topshop and my vintage black leather belt.


My jewellery is a mix of vintage and high street. The silver daisy ring was purchased from My house which is situated down the same lane as With Love Betty.

So if you are planning a round the world trip and you happen to pass Bangkok, I urge you to visit the weekend market, you wont be disappointed!!

I hope to visit the market in the future to buy stock so watch this space. 

Thanks for reading.

With Love.......
xxxxxxxxx

please note that not all images are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment